Monday, March 1, 2010

The Wet Came

There I was with a week left to go when THE WET began. Unfortunately, my little tent proved incapable of handling this quantity of rain and it flooded driving me into the front seat of my car where I spent a warm, dry, not too uncomfortable night. The power of the mind is a wonderful thing - I simply imagined I was sitting on an aircraft heading to Europe. The drum of the rain on the car roof replicated the drone of an aircraft engine and I slept.

Next morning I had no choice but to up tent pegs and head back to friends, Sue and Wayne, at Dingo Beach. I turned up looking like a drowned rat but, as always, found a warm welcome. Wayne's shed made the perfect place to put my tent and camping gear to dry.


My final Dingo Beach housesit was a little different to the usual in that the senior member of the household, Mona, was there with me. Mona is 91 yo, still does crosswords, suduko, reads, knits for charity and keeps up with world affairs. She took care of me really. She made us porridge each morning and our dinner each evening. We had Sue and Wayne around for dinner one night and Mona prepared everything. I was assigned the table setting and the vegetable preparation duties!

No comments:

Post a Comment